By Astrid Verstappen
Some of you might already have secured research diver positions, but many might (soon) be in-between institutions right now. Here’s ten tips to start off and stay on the right foot with your new DSO.
- Don’t make us chase you for dive plans, logs and other required paperwork.
- Don’t leave a tank standing where it can fall.
- Do a predive safety check. Always.
- Plan your dive – dive your plan.
- Don’t run out of air. But? No! DON’T RUN OUT OF AIR!!!!
- Don’t drop something heavy on something breakable (ie lead weights on mask or tanks on toes).
- Stay with your buddy. Feel free to render assistance when needed.
- Don’t be a crybaby. Need additional training? Medical consent? Equipment? Just get it or adjust your plans.
- Listen to the most conservative and /or nervous diver
- Make as many ascents as descents.